Principal offers a full spectrum of retirement accounts for individual and small business clients alike, from traditional, Roth, and rollover IRAs, to SEP and SIMPLE IRAs, and 401(k) plans.
Individual Retirement Accounts
- Rollover IRA—Consolidate and simplify investors' retirement savings.
- Traditional IRA—Gain the potential for long-term tax-deferred growth with immediate tax advantages.
- Roth IRA—Enjoy tax-free qualified withdrawals of from retirement savings.
Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) IRA
This plan enables employers to make contributions for their employees and themselves (as long as they're an employee of the company) each year. The employer has the flexibility to change the amount each year, but must contribute equally for all eligible employees. Contributions may be federally tax-deductible for the employer and are typically not taxable to the participants until withdrawn.
Savings Incentive Match Plan for Employees (SIMPLE) IRA
This simplified retirement plan gives employees the choice to make tax-deferred contributions, while requiring employers to make either matching contributions or non-elective contributions. Contributions may be federally tax deductible for the employer (employer contributions) and may reduce the taxable income of the employee (employee's contributions). Taxation occurs when the participants withdraw assets.
Just about any type of small business without a retirement plan can establish a SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA plan, including:
- Sole proprietors
- Nonprofit organizations
Small Business Retirement Plans
These can be a smart, simple way for business owners and self-employed individuals to provide benefits without the same level of administration, costs, or testing requirements of traditional plans.
- 401(k) and 403(b) Retirement Plans—Invest automatically and build a more secure retirement.
- Nonqualified Deferred Compensation (NQDC) Plans—Key employees can close the savings gap to gain an extra edge.
- Defined Benefit (DB) Plans—Set benefits for retirement.
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)—A simplified way to gain retirement benefits while supporting your business.
* As of December 31, 2015.